Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What is Piracy?

                                       (www.boston.com)

What is Piracy?

If you were to look up the meaning of this word, the first definition of piracy you will come across is that it is defined as a robbery committed at sea, but somehow I don't think that applies in our class, so scratch that,  unless of course you have the eye patch, sword and talking parrot! Let's focus on another definition of piracy
which is "the unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material". http://www.thefreedictionary.com/piracy

Basically, any material that is being transmitted over the internet that you have not personally paid for could possibly be considered pirating.

Many items fall under the protection of public domain, but this is not a legal class so we will not get too specific on that front.

Our first point of emphasis is to decide who is considered a pirate. There are three main categories here. Hosts, who hold and source the products. Couriers, who move the product along the back logs of the internet and end users who reap the benefits of pirated material.

The internet is a lot more than what you just see on webpages. These webpages are just the surface of the deep sea that is the internet. Most piracy is committed in what is known as "The Deep Net". It is also referred to as "The Deep Web".  The deep net is not easily accessed or navigated by most internet users. It requires a higher level of computer knowledge and resources. You can not get to the deep web via Google; meaning if you don't know where to look, you will never find it.

How many people have used the Deep Web?
How many people have even heard of the Deep Web?
Have you ever acquired any material for "free"?

(image crystalcastles.com)

8 comments:

  1. Comment#2

    Personally, I didn’t heard of this, but from you guys I got an idea of what the invisible web is. I did actually a small research to get the full image of the Deep web. The definition I found is that the Deep web is the content of WWW (World Wide Web) that is not part of the surface we, which is has been applied and promoted by standard search engines.
    Moreover, I just discovered that the deep web is involved in some social network website such as, Facebook accounts, Youtube, and Twitter. In addition, the deep web affects strongly the airlines flights.
    I used to check and get information from this link
    http://www.internettutorials.net/deepweb.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the deep web. But I do know that many shows love to show others how to go into deep web and alter security systems, bank accounts, etc. I venture in surface web because I use it for personal searches and videos and don't need to go any further. When people go out of their way to steal information it becomes unnecessary and invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally have never heard of the deep web either until reading this blog. However it did make me curious enough to do some more research and learn in even more detail what this "deep web" is. There is so much more information out there than what we simply see on google. The creater of the "deep web" phrase Mike Bergman states that "searching on the Internet today can be compared to dragging a net across the surface of the ocean: a great deal may be caught in the net, but there is a wealth of information that is deep and therefore missed."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not use the Deep Web at all. It is the first time for me to hear about the Deep Web. I would like to learn a lot about the Deep Web.
    I know that many people download or upload illegal materials from the internet without knowing that it is illegal. It is not easy to know whether you are downloading something that is legal or illegal. There should be a website that can help the user to enter a website and check whether this website is legal to use or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have never heard of the term Deep Web before, I do know what piracy is and what doing so entails. I know a lot of people who will never acquire anything for free from the internet that should otherwise be bought, but I also know others who are expert "pirates". People who often engage in piracy (or least the ones I know) don't believe that what they're doing is wrong. I once argued with them about this and asked how they could get away with it, and the response I got was that piracy is not something really illegal to do in their country. This made me wonder if I had actually done something considered as piracy without knowing it. The line between buying something and simply having it for free from the internet is very thin. Almost everything can have a price set to it, and a lot of people don't realize they are actually engaging in piracy because of their lack of knowledge about this topic. I believe that this is a sensitive matter that people should be more educated and advised on because of the important patented material and copyrights it involves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of the Deep Web until recently. I've acquired online material for free, but not from the Deep Web. It scares me that there is such a thing. It seems like a playground for hackers, thieves, terrorists, etc. I think it could be more harmful than good, since it's not limited to the U.S. The Deep Web could create the beginnings of a cyber attack, which could have detrimental and irreversible consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not everything on the deep web is illegal. It has many beneficial uses. I think that Piracy while not enforced in all countries is still illegal in most. Somewhere along the line that material has been stolen. This is a detriment to our economy, we are losing billions of dollars worth of intellectual property every year. This type of commerce is what the United States does best now, so to have it stolen really hurts us.
    (Speaking for group 5)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Until the past few weeks I had never even known there was a "Deep Web." It kind of makes me want to explore it but I am clearly out of my element. There is a reason why I have never heard of this deep net and I won't be exploring it anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete