Saturday, June 15, 2013

Software Piracy


What is Software Piracy?

With the term piracy floating around with music, movies and games exactly what is software piracy? Well, we do know that piracy “is the unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material”, so “software piracy is the unauthorized copying and use of software.” Some examples of popular software programs are Microsoft Office, Excel or Adobe Photoshop.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/software_piracy.html


User Licensing

Just about every program you purchase is licensed for your personal use with a User license. That is a license that allows access to the specific software to a set number of users. Every time you install the software, it will be counted but every install of the software on multiple devices (i.e. your PC, your laptop or tablet) will only count as one license. When you purchase the software, you become an authorized licensed user not an owner. You can make backup copies of the software, but it is unlawful to make copies with the intention of giving or selling those copies to whomever you choose.
http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/elo/2011/06/common-software-license-types-and-terms.html

How is Software Pirated?


Software is normally pirated via peer to peer ftp (file transfer protocol) networks. According to the Software alliance 42% of all PC software packages were pirated in 2011. It is estimated that 80% of this material is counterfeit. These software packages are often laced with computer viruses and malware. This malware can be responsible for identity theft. This is one of the fastest growing crimes in the world.


THE COST

The cost of software piracy is skyrocketing out of control. Not only does it costs the businesses that produce software, it costs businesses millions of dollars to fix the damage cause by pirated software. IDC (International Data Corporation) estimates that 1.5 billion consumer hours worldwide will be lost in dealing with the malware spread via software piracy.They estimate that the costs of dealing with the malware spread from Piracy is $114 billion, the loss form data breaches could be $350 billion. This is a scope of astronomical proportions and it is only getting worse.


How many of you actually have kept any software you purchased strictly for your own use? 
Have any of you sold, given copies of or posted to the internet any software you bought? 
Have you downloaded any software off the internet?

4 comments:

  1. I have kept some of the software that I have purchased to my own use. However, I have purchased and downloaded many softwares that I have realized lately they are illegal. I did not post any software to the internet. In many countries oversea, many people used to buy and sell softwares that are copied or download them from the internet. I know this will detrimental the industry of software programs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have never given out any of the software that I have bought. The only software that I can really think of that I have bought are programs for school and Microsoft Office. I believe I was able to use it three times and I just used it on my computers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to overlook policies and laws when it comes to sharing software between friends or family, and even downloading from the internet because let's face it, who really thinks about it at the time? When it comes to downloading from the internet, most of us assume it is okay to do so since it's already there. We all just need to remember that such laws and policies do exist, you will end up paying big when you are caught and it does more harm than good! Increased software piracy = increased software costs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never downloaded software from the internet. I keep all purchased software strictly for my own use. I don't have the guts to sell copies or post it online. My last software download was Microsoft Office. I am too nervous to distribute it in any way. Also, I bought it. If I paid for it, others should also. It's not beneficial to anyone to pirate software. Consumer pay more for it, businesses lose profits, and most perpetrators aren't held responsible.

    ReplyDelete